1. Assess each potential resident’s needs, and determine whether the level of support available within the residence is appropriate. Provide assistance to the resident for referral in or outside of the residence.
2. Value diversity and non-discrimination.
3. Provide a safe, homelike environment that meets NARR Standards.
4. Maintain an alcohol- and illicit-drug-free environment.
5. Honor individuals’ rights to choose their recovery paths within the parameters defined by the residence organization.
6. Protect the privacy and personal rights of each resident.
7. Provide consistent and uniformly applied rules.
8. Provide for the health, safety and welfare of each resident.
9. Address each resident fairly in all situations.
10. Encourage residents to sustain relationships with professionals, recovery support service providers and allies.
11. Take appropriate action to stop intimidation, bullying, sexual harassment and/or otherwise threatening behavior of residents, staff and visitors within the residence.
12. Take appropriate action to stop retribution, intimidation, or any negative consequences that could occur as the result of a grievance or complaint.
13. Provide consistent, fair practices for drug testing that promote the residents’ recovery and the health and safety of the recovery environment and protect the privacy of resident information to the extent allowed by law.
14. Provide an environment in which each resident’s recovery needs are the primary factors in all decision making.
15. Promote the residence with marketing or advertising that is supported by accurate, open and honest claims.
16. Decline taking an active role in the recovery plans of relatives, close friends, and/or business acquaintances who may apply to live in the recovery residence.
17. Sustain transparency in operational and financial decisions.
18. Maintain clear personal and professional boundaries.
19. Operate within the residence’s scope of service and within professional training and credentials.
20. Maintain an environment that promotes the peace and safety of the surrounding neighbINARRood and the community at large.
The Code of Ethics must be read and signed by all those associated with the operation of the recovery residence. All persons in position of authority within the home are assumed to be familiar with this Code of Ethics and are required to adhere to its terms. This statement commits the signatory and all responsible persons to adhere to this Code and to maintain a vital concern for the lives and well-being of all residents, staff, volunteers and family members. Individuals subject to this code are obligated to report unethical practices according to the reporting rules set forth by the affiliate. In signing the following, I affirm that I have read, understand and agree to abide by this Code of Ethics.